Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Economy and the Election

Is anyone besides me tired of crisis after crisis? Does anyone besides me want to escape into the nice and safe world of books and libraries?

The modern economic crisis that "requires immediate response" or the whole world will immediately go to hell in a handbasket or explode or self-destruct (do not pass go and do not collect $200--$2.99 when adjusted for inflation) is tiring and boring and needs to just go away. I don't care about money. Don't bother me with the small stuff. Let's talk about really important things like books or films or Clay Aiken's sexual preferences or the war in Iraq or the War in Pakistan & Afghanistan or whatever else the government doesn't want us to talk about and is trying to hide with this economic smokescreen.

Didn't Richard Nixon write a book about how to use crisis to effectively manipulate the media?

3 comments:

Bruce A. Sullivan said...

Hey Paul! Heard from my friends in Georgia today - they said fights are breaking out in gas lines! Yes, I'll take the library. I can walk to the one in my town, and ride a bike to the one where I work!

I'm sure you're watching the debates! It really makes these guys look terrible, and I regret that anyone must ever feel that pressure. One more consequence of merging head of state and chief executive, I am afraid. It's very difficult to do both at once. I say Jim Lehrer for president!

Paul Dale Anderson said...

I'll vote for Jim. PBS rules!

JPD said...

Paul,
You are so right about Clay et al, watch the shiny object over here.... pay no attentiont to the man behind the curtain, and all that. Give me the library any day. I can walk to my library, too.